Planning Applications

If you are going to build a house or carry out most other types of development, you will need planning permission. MOL Engineers have been dealing with the planning authorities for many years and our record of getting planning permission granted for different projects is exemplary. At MOL Engineers, we have the experience and expertise to guide you through the entire planning application process. We design & prepare drawings that take any potential planning issues into consideration. This will help you to minimise the chances of any unwanted delays to your project.

There are 3 types of planning permission: permission, outline permission and permission consequent on outline permission. The most common type is permission, sometimes called full permission. However, if you want to see if the planning authority agrees in principle to you building a house on a particular site or building a large extension, you might apply for outline permission, which will require you to produce only the plans and particulars that are necessary to enable the planning authority to make a decision in relation to the siting, layout or other proposals for development. If you get outline permission, you will have to submit detailed drawings and receive consequent permission before you start building work. Generally, outline permissions have a 3-year duration.

It is an offence to carry out any work that requires planning permission, without planning permission. However, if a genuine mistake has been made, it is possible to apply for planning permission to retain an unauthorised development.

Generally, the local planning authority must make a decision on a planning application within 8 weeks of receiving the application, but if the local authority needs more information, or the decision is appealed, it may take much longer.

If the local authority decides to give you planning permission, you will get a notice of intention to grant planning permission. If no one appeals the decision to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks of the date of this decision, you will get grant of permission from the local authority.